Thursday, September 13, 2007

SIMPLIFY

Sorry for my absence from blogging, this story should make up for it. Read on.

Life is getting a little complicated, Kurt's health is going wacko, I'm temporarily up to more-than-full-time at work just after I got addicted to being a stay-at-home mom, and in general other ways we're feeling in over our heads. So we're toying with the idea of moving to Salt Lake to be closer to work for Kurt. Therefore today I decided to go APARTMENT SHOPPING. Of course I'm looking at cheap places in an effort to simplify life. I give you this list based on today's experiences.

Ways you know an apartment is too trashy for you:

1. You are afraid to take a deep breath in the lobby for fear of smoke or mildew inhalation
2. You won't touch the door handle with your actual hand to avoid contamination
3. The brown and cream marbled carpet is the same as 1963.
4. You refuse to set your child down on said carpet.
5. Your daughter is terrified of the large lady with no legs who chases her in a motorized wheelchair, shrieking "Hi pretty girl! Hi pretty girl!"
6. Same daughter refuses to look at a one-eyed woman singing to her, instead burying her face in your neck.
6.5. When making small talk with above mentioned women, nervous "hahaha I just don't think she's seen a wheelchair before" they say "Well if you move here you'll see LOTS of wheelchairs!"
7. There are vending machines from 1972 on each corner.
7.5 The whole place reeks of $19 motel from hell.
8. Again, you push open the door with your elbow to avoid contamination on the way out.

Next Complex:
9. Your 'community guide' is a gum-smacking fake blonde named Ginger who has had an obvious butt implant and wants to be your best friend.
10. While in parking lot on the way to view an apartment you get several catcalls from the local Hispanics who are tinkering on cars instead of out making legitimate money.
11. You get stared down by everyone, like maybe you ended up in the wrong neighborhood.
12. Delinquent teens who should be at school are tossing cigarette butts off their balconies.
13. The hallway to your apartment is dark, dimly lit, narrow, littered with trash, with few outside entrances.
14. The smell. Oh, the overwhelming musty-old-mildew-sick me out smell.
15. THERE ARE HOMELESS PEOPLE SLEEPING IN THE MODEL APARTMENT. (Yes! This really happened! Two teen girls sleeping in one bedroom and I walked in on an old man in the other.)

I promptly went home and washed my hands. Adrie's too.

5 comments:

Mallory Jan said...

Oh Alaina thank you so much for making me laugh tonight, I really needed it. Trashy apartments are awful I am so sorry you had to live that. Maybe this was not your generation but you could pretend that you and Kurt are Corey and Tapanga from Boy Meets World and make it into something cute.

PS-I want to meet Ginger.

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Oh my goodness--that is as bad as it gets! But it cracked me up so much. I'm glad you're in a safe place!

One eye...no legs..."She'll be seeing lots of wheelchairs if you live here"...

Hahahahaha

NatAttack said...

OH wow. This blog made me laugh and laugh and laugh. GENIUS!

I hope things can slow down for you soon! You work TOO hard.

Unknown said...

mouth...still...hanging...open...
when I recover I'm sure sounds of laughter will come out :)

Alexa said...

Hmmm...sounds a lot like South Austin (that's where Tim and I lived for 3-1/2 years)! ;) You're right, though, in implying that you have to draw the line somewhere! Did you find anything nicer than that while you were out? I hope so! :)

By the way, though, I'm sorry to hear about all the "complications" (that's definitely a positive way of saying it!) in your life right now -- I admire your ability to keep a sense of humor in spite of it all! Here's hoping things really do get simpler soon...! :)